CESM Events: CESM Tutorial
Below are the complete training materials from the CESM tutorial, held at the NCAR Mesa Lab, Boulder, CO, July 12-16, 2010. Each day's material is listed below, with a new introduction for the web. For questions or comments on these materials, please use the Tutorials forum section of the CGD bulletin board: http://bb.cgd.ucar.edu. We encourage feedback to help us improve these pages. Enjoy!
Welcome, Intro, Logistics, Andrew Gettelman [PDF]
Practical Session 1: CCSM4/CESM1 Tutorial, Brian Kauffman [PDF]
Practical lab 2: CCSM4 Tutorial, Step by Step Instructions [PDF]
Practical Session 5: Intro: Breakouts: Ocean/Ice, Land / BGC, Atmosphere/Chem/WACCM
Ocean/Ice: [Ocean/Ice PDF] [Ice Ocean Exercises PDF]
Land/BGC: [Land PDF] [BGC PDF]
Atmosphere/Chem/CAM: [Atmosphere VIDEO] [CAM-Chem/WACCM VIDEO] [CAM PDF] [WACCM PDF]
The Community Earth System Model (CESM) is a fully-coupled, global climate model that provides state-of-the-art computer simulations of the Earth's past, present, and future climate states.
CESM is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Administration of the CESM is maintained by the Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory (CGD) at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR).
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation and the Office of Science (BER), U.S. Department of Energy.
To download this video to your computer right-click here and choose "Save Link as..."
- Climate Earth and System Models, Peter Gent
- Atmospheric Dynamics, Peter Hjort Lauritzen
- Introduction to the Tutorial Computing Environment, Andrew Gettelman
- Getting Started with Supercomputing and DAV at NCAR, Davide Del Vento
- Atmospheric Physics I, Andrew Gettelman
- Moist Turbulence and Convection Schemes in the CAM5, Sungsu Park
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols, Peter Hess
- WACCM: The High-Top Model, Micheal Mills
- CESM1/CCSM4 Tutorial: Basic Modifications, Christine Shields
- The Community Land Model: Biogeophysics, David Lawrence
- Community Land Model Overview focus on ecosystem modeling, Sam Levis
- Ocean Modeling I: POP, Susan Bates
- Day 3: Diagnostics and Output, Adam Phillips
- Ocean Modelling II, William Large
- Sea Ice Modeling, David Bailey
- Influence of Sea Ice Improvements in Coupled Simulations, Marika Holland
- CESM1/CCSM4 Tutorial: Modifications, Cecile Hannay
- Intro to Biogeochemical Modeling Ocean & Coupled, Keith Lindsay
- Weather Extremes in a Changing Climate, Gerald Meehl
- Atmospheric Model Example Exercises, Rich Neale
- CAM-Chem and WACCM, Andrew Gettelman